Friday, March 7, 2008

Hokkaido Snow

Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it: "Hokkaido Snow"

I am the last one left. Since this is my powder shot post, I am going to include a little more scenery and narrative. Also, I encourage everyone to scroll through the lower posts for more narrative, more incredible powder shots, and even further back for more on our trip to the incredible country of Japan. You can also head over to zjean.blogspot.com for more cultural and arty shots by MJ.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that this entire trip was a gift from my wife Jean for my 40th birthday. People remember their major birthdays for a lot of reasons. I will remember mine for this trip, but mostly for how fortunate I am to be married to the energy, creativity, sass and love that is MJ. SP: Thanks for always being game. Did I mention she's a ripper (see posts below).


Okay, on Day 2, it cleared a little as we started up the hill.



Soon, low and behold, we had some blue sky:


and we could finally get a look at where we were:




I have more of those I could post, but many people don't seem to be interested in the scenery (EdE?). There was some slide activity, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. This debris was in one of the best areas to start down.

Did I mention the skiing? Yours truly:



And the SNOW? (Click on these, they are big.)


Toshisan:


These are more Pando shots. I think the one above is just awesome. I am not sure I have said this enough: the quality and quantity of snow here is unmatched in my experience. More Toshi:





Add to that the experience of self-powered back country skiing in the remote recesses of an already distant land, and you get an inkling of how lucky we were. This area is non-motorized travel only. No heli, no cats, no sleds. I think Toshi was the one who told me "there will never be a lift here". I hope it's true. Just breakfast and sweat, and sometimes some Pocari Sweat. Look that one up.

A few more of our friend and leader Ross:



And when the day is through, the truck is waiting:

and it is back up the road to Ryounkaku:

Day 3 was Ross MJ and me doing basically the same. I have no pictures and Pando was on his way to Myoko. More of the same, and then a cool alternate onsen up the road. You will just have to take our word for it.


Well kids that's it, and thanks for playing along. I have a ton of photos, and we have stories to tell. Brad, the onsen switches every morning . . .

Thanks to Ross Matlock for organizing the trip, and thanks to Brad, Scotty and Pando for putting up with us and making it all the better at every turn. See ya next year.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Not interested in the scenery? Post 'em up, yo!

Awesome looking place and incredible looking skiing. Great photos you guys.

Thanks for sharing -

Ed

JenyJo said...

the insanity!~!

my god, look at that snow.

let's all go back!!